On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy(a)ferentschik.de
I wanted to start a discussion on who we want to proceed with the various
ISOs we support.
So far the B2D ISO is our default and we always took great care that all
features we implement
work on all ISOs.
Thanks for starting the thread. We need to plan this for sure.
As of recently we have not features though (the experimental Hyper-V
feature to set a fixed IP)
which won't work anymore on the B2D ISO. Unfortunately, the whole B2D
project seems to be abandoned
by Docker, so chances are slim to get this fixed.
At the same time we have a new player on the field, the Minikube ISO. It
supports all features
(including the Hyper-V one) and is still relatively small, so that it
eventually could become our default ISO.
I guess we still need to gain some experience with this ISO and we need to
also need to double
check whether it already contains all the hostfolder utilities (sshfs,
cifs) we need, but after that
we might want to ask ourselves whether we should not make the Minikub ISO
What are your thoughts around this? Other related questions:
* How long do we wait until we make the switch?
Currently we do not run any CI on Minikube ISO as part of pull request and
release job. Also we need to put some test in Minikube repository as part
of their regression testing for the ISO. Because the ISO only gets released
after it passes the tests.
Once these things are fixed we need to wait at least few weeks (around 3
weeks) to see how this is going and then make the switch if everything goes
* Should be just make the Minikube ISO the default and keep the B2D as an
Yes, we will make Minikube ISO as default but we need to keep B2D as
option. As we do not want to break users use-case or workflow if their
familiar with B2D all of sudden. It should be a low process.
* If we don't want to keep the B2D ISO, how long do we wait until we remove
it from the list of explicitly listed ISOs
Once we switch to Minikube ISO we will wait for the feedback from users. If
we see (issues or IRC discussions) users are still using B2D (i.e. through
--iso-url) we need to plan accordingly. I guess 3 months is a good time to
take a call on this.
* Should we stop working on the B2D ISO repo altogether?
Nope, not all of a sudden. We still need to do regular maintenance till we
make the Minikube ISO as default. After that we should only fix blocker
> Let's try to come up with a plan on how we want to
move this forward.
> Minishift Mailing List mailing list -- minishift(a)lists.minishift.io
> To unsubscribe send an email to minishift-leave(a)lists.minishift.io